Company History

Company History

Company History from 1854 to present

1854

M&H began as a partnership between Mr. McNab and Mr. Carr. The McNab-Carr Company, located in New York City, began manufacturing products for the water and steam industries.

1862

When Mr. Carr retired, a new partnership formed between Mr. James McNab and Mr. John Harlin. During the next 60 years, the McNab and Harlin Company expanded to serve more industries, including air, gas and oil. Water products were expanded to include valves, fire hydrants and iron fittings.

1920

Over the next five years, the M&H Manufacturing Company, as it was then known, came into family and financial difficulties, leading to the liquidation and sale of company assets.

1925

Through the financial help of leading Anniston businessmen and the Anniston Chamber of Commerce, the portion of the M&H Company that made cast iron fittings and valves was relocated to Anniston, Ala. This move was done to create more local industry and employment for the citizens of Anniston.

1926

Iron production at M&H Valve & Fitting Company officially began with the help of 60 new Anniston employees.

1929

M&H Model 29 Fire Hydrant was designed and manufactured. The hydrant was named after the year it first was made. The Model 29 did not go into full production until 1932.

1934

With the American automobile becoming an increasing hazard to fire hydrants, M&H engineers developed the Traffic Model Fire Hydrant (or the Model 29T) later to be called the 129.

1934–1955

Investment in the latest foundry and machining technology led the way for M&H Valve to become a significant manufacturer of valves and fire hydrants for water systems across the southeast.

1955

M&H Valve was purchased by the Walworth Valve Company.

1961

Walworth Valve Company sold M&H to Dresser Industries. Dresser Industries brought M&H products to national and international markets.

1965

M&H expands its valve line to include butterfly valves.

1981

Introduction of the M&H Model 929 Fire Hydrant, offered 360°rotation and O-ring technology.

1982

M&H Valve was one of the first American valve companies to produce a resilient seated gate valve. This change steered M&H away from the traditional labor and machine intensive all metal valves.

1984

McWane, Inc. of Birmingham, Ala., purchased M&H Valve Co. from Dresser Industries.

1985

M&H Ironman installed

1990–2006

Multi-million dollar, high-tech upgrades in the foundry, machine shop, lab, pollution control, quality control, safety and accounting marks a revitalization of all areas of M&H. This dedication to excellence continues to make M&H Valve Company a world-class supplier of waterworks products.

1994

M&H engineering modified the 129 to include 360°rotation and a dual lubrication bonnet while maintaining interchangeability.

2002

Introduced stainless steel tags on all 129 & 929 Model fire hydrants.

2003

M&H introduces the Resilient Seated Ken-Flex Check Valve with reversible seat and O-ring seal.

2004

Resilient seated gate valves with patented Clean Track Technology were introduced.

2005

Acquires $1.8 million dollar Integrex machine from Mazak that is used to machine larger castings.

2007

Two million dollar investment in new Mazak Palletech machining cell. The system eliminates a significant number of machine setups and helps the machine shop better conform to LEAN processes creating better system flow.

2008

Introduction of the Patriot Check Valve.

2008

M&H 129 Model hydrant was featured on the Discovery Channel's "How It’s Made."

2010

Introduction of the New M&H AWWA body style check valve. Used latest design software to maximize materials and improve function.

2011

Flanged resilient seated gate valves with patented Clean Track Technology were introduced.

The Future

M&H Valve continues to look for opportunities to improve existing product and develop new products. Constant monitoring/improvement of safety, environmental and production facilities.